Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Party of one Re-score

I decided to re-score or "extend" this orchestral bit because liked how it captures Pinky Pie's innocence and sadness.  There was such emotion in 5 seconds.  I felt like I had to extend that score.




The arrangement itself that you hear from the episode consists of 3 triads starting at Fm (F minor) then E aug (E augmented) then AbM (A flat Major).  It was difficult to transition form A to E so I added a fourth triad B flat Major to complete the melody.  Having the second note in the B flat Major cord land on F it was easy for me to transition back up to Fm.

After that it was jut adding different instruments to flesh out the arrangement and add some harmonization. I wanted to keep the front half of the song melancholy, while the back half is more epic so to speak.  To be honest the back half of the song was created to end the whole song on a more upbeat and happy note.  Because pinky pie is upbeat and happy in all of the episodes I felt it necessary to end the song on a happy note.

The whole project took me about 8 hours (not all at once) to compose, I find im most productive at night so thats when I usually start composing.  Composing music is not my first strength, that would be sound design and mixing.  But nevertheless I do find it fun to compose music, it just takes me a little bit longer to do than say,  John Williams, Allen Menken, Thomas Newman, or Bear McCreary (whose blog is awesome by the way).   The first thing I do is look for a piece of music that I like and is not over 10 seconds, if it were over 10 seconds theres not much i could do because its already fleshed out by the composer.  When I do find one, I then listen to it and play by ear until I get the notes right, which doesn't take long.  Then comes the hard part, adding notes and creating a melody.  Its weird because I usually find this part difficult so its kind of a hit or mis thing.  But inspiration usually slaps me in the face and then i hammer something out in one night.  Then I take it and refine it and add some harmony to it and BAM there you have a re-scored version of a song.  Im currently working on another re scoring thats pushing my limits notation wise, Pizzicato stings are fun to use however you must use them diligently or it wont sound that good.  So yeah, something should be up this coming saturday.  After that Im hoping to do one more before school starts and I have to extend my releases to once a moth.

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment